Yesterday I bought this picnic/water play table because it would give Rory and Myer something to play/eat on outside that is their size. Unfortunately, it required a socket wrench to assemble, which I couldn't find in the chaos that is our garage. So my plan of putting it together last night after both boys had gone to bed and surprising them this morning was shot.
After a blueberry pancake breakfast-of-champions this morning, I set to it with a lot of elbow grease and an adjustable wrench. Did I mention elbow grease? I now have the blister - squarely in the center of my palm - to prove it.
(By the way, as I write this, Mymy is clamoring for me to read his Animals book, so this post is a bit slow-going.)
The Assembly
Usually, Dad does all the put-it-together stuff while I run interference with the kids - "Is it done yet? When can I play with [insert name of thing]?" But since I'm solo, I had to distract them and stay on top of all the washers and bolts. The assembly was not complicated, but it did take some patience and the aforementioned elbow grease.
I got the bench seats on the legs, and of course, both boys immediately sat down on them before I could start on the table top.
Mom, Interrupted
Halfway through assembly, Myer crapped his pants. I chose to ignore this fact and persevere. Wrong choice.
Another few minutes later, with my head bent under the bench seat screwdriver in left hand the wrench in my right tightening a lug nut, Rory says, "Myer pooped on the couch." Head smacks bench seat as I extract myself from under table.
Sure enough, he'd had a blowout. Not large, by blowout standards, but it had come over the top of the diaper and his PJ bottoms (why didn't I put him in the onsie last night?), which he'd then managed to smear against the seat cushion as he backed against it. Luckily a wet rag was able to remove it before it could set in, and a little Febreeze will hopefully remove any smell. So, our couch is still a somewhat clean off-white (what the heck were we thinking with that purchase?!).
Finally, all 8 lug nuts were tightened as much as I could get them, and voila! Kids outside, table outside and filled with water, and they immediately set to fighting amongst each other. This despite the fact that there were an even number of boats, cars and dinosaurs per child. So there is no happy ending as of yet, but I do have a picture (look closely at both boys' faces).
Children 2, Parents 0. And now I have to run -the boys have just gotten into the chalk. Another post on our afternoon adventures later.
you had me at "... Myer crapped his pants."
ReplyDeletethis heavenly!
tell your husband to call me before Rory starts driving.
miss u all!
-paulie
Thanks, Paul! Glad you like. We need to reinstate our weekly get togethers!
ReplyDelete