Last month I took Rory to see "A Year with Frog and Toad" along with Ardan, his mom, Natalie and her dad. Here is a cookie recipe, kid-tested and Frog- and Toad-approved, worthy of his first play.
Really, these are the "nicest" cookies. I've tried several O.C.C. recipes, but these are hands-down the winner. I just wish I could remember where the recipe came from - I can tell you it was not under the lid of Quaker Oats. I am pretty certain credit goes to Ghirardelli, with a few minor tweaks, since I almost always buy the semi-sweet chips in the gold package (the recipe is on the package). If you're feeling adventurous, you can add 1/2 cup of shredded coconut. When doubling the recipe, use 4 cups oats, 3 cups chips and 1 tsp of baking soda (trust me on the latter).
B.A.N.O.C.C. Cookies
Makes about 21 medium cookies
1 1/4 cup Butter, room temp
1 Egg
3/4 cup Brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup Splenda
1 tsp Vanilla
1 1/2 cup Whole wheat flour
slightly less than 1 tsp Baking soda
1/2 tsp Salt
1 tsp Cinnamon
1/8 tsp Nutmeg (especially during the holidays, otherwise it's optional)
2 cups Oats, old-fashioned
2 cups Semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 cup Walnuts, chopped
And, of course, you'll also need lots and lots of will power. :)
Directions:
Preheat oven to 375 and cream the butter and sugars, and beat in egg and vanilla.
While you're creaming, stir the dry ingredients together, and add to the creamed mixture.
Fold in oats, chocolate chips then walnuts (best done by hand).
Drop by rounded table spoon on ungreased cookie sheet.
Bake for 9 minutes, or until they begin to brown at the edges.
PS - And in case you're wondering, the play was a huge hit. I thought the acting and stage design were brilliant. Rory loved every minute of it, well almost all of it except the major anxiety induced by my reading of the playbill "a terribly large and largely terrible toad" in Act III, or thereabout.
No comments:
Post a Comment