First day of school (Sept. 2013)

First day of school (Sept. 2013)

Friday, May 1, 2009

"Dammage!"

This happened a few weeks back, and still makes me chuckle. I had forgotten to write about it when it happened, but remembered it as I was updating the Roryisms here.

The scene: Kids and parents at some group function (a school event, I think). A small group of moms is talking about the things our kids do, while children safely run rampant in a self-contained play place.

Mom#1: You know, one of the parents must say "Dammit." My son has been saying "Oh, dammage!" and in the appropriate context.

Me: Oh my god! (raising my hand, horror-stricken) That's us!

I am quite certain Rory picked up on this from home - sure, it is still possible he heard it from one of the other kids in class - and luckily he hears it as "Dammage!" Perhaps he hears it from me from time to time, but a certain tool-wielding member of our family is also known to stream mild to moderate irreverencies quite profusely (obscenities are reserved for when bodily harm is inflicted by said tools). In another time, I may have married Darren McGavin.

Also rather fortunately, this child and his mother are our dear friends, so my mortification at being called out was short-lived. Further helped by the fact that she thinks it adorable. Though, I find there is still a certain amount of hangover shock as I write and re-enact this scene. In a word, hubris.

No comments:

Post a Comment