I meant to write sooner about our jam-packed weekend, but I seem to have been a casualty to the weekend's activities. Either that, or some wicked germs floating around the preschool.
I know I'm behind on pictures, too. Have some good shots from this weekend as well as of Myer's forward propulsion!
It all began Friday night. It was the monthly 'parents night out' (PNO) hosted at the school. From 6 pm to 10 pm volunteers from among the children's teachers stay late to allow parents some quality time. For us, this usually consists of the very original dinner-and-a-movie date. PNO is the only reason we get to see movies on the big screen. This past Friday's viewing pleasure consisted of Forgetting Sarah Marshall. I highly recommend it to anyone who is a fan of Judd Apatow - it seems every film he's involved with of late is comic genius: 40 Year-old Virgin, Knocked Up, and Superbad. However, be forewarned that there is male full frontal nudity.
So our Friday night began with the movie and progressed to a very nice Thai dinner; Matt had a hot pot of seafood Thom Yum and I had a spicy garlic pepper tofu and vegetables. Conversational items consisted of such grown-up topics as whether that was the first mainstream movie to feature male full frontal nudity; we reluctantly concluded it wasn't, but we were at a loss to name any others with any degree of certainty. Matt contends that Braveheart was first, but I'm not sure that included a frontal shot and I hesitate to google 'male frontal nudity' (though I apparently have no qualms typing it not once but three times on my children's blog, hmm). We picked up the boys around 9 pm and I went to sleep almost immediately upon arriving home.
Saturday originally was a busy day. Rory was invited to two birthday parties, back-to-back beginning at 1:30 and stretching to 7. The first was a pirate's party for Grace (who is now in the sea horses, the next class up from Rory). Then it was off to Reed's superhero party, complete with jumphouse, where Rory dressed in his Storm Trooper costume from Halloween. This was a snap decision at the last minute; originally he had wanted to be Michael Recycle, but this quickly fizzled when I was unsuccessful in getting his colander hat to stay in place. He also associates 'costume' with store-bought, as I learned when he burst into tears while I put on his green sweat pants. "Mommy, that's not a costuuummmme!" So that costume never really stood a chance, unless there is a store-bought version - the very existence of which would completely undermine the very ethos of Michael Recycle.
We didn't end up going to Grace's party, as we had previously agreed to go up to San Francisco on Saturday. However, Saturday morning we decided to go instead on Sunday (which I feel, ahem, obligated to point out was my original preference anyway), and I had already sent our regrets to Grace's parents.
Auntie Lisa was in town - a belated birthday treat from friends Dana and Destiny. We of course could not pass up the opportunity for all of us to be together. And I'm glad we chose Sunday, because rushing back to make it to Reed's party would have been sheer madness.
It was great to see Lisa, Dana and Destiny. Rory had a blast, though was initially a little shy with them. In the car on the drive up, we was loquacious with excitement, asking a million questions a minute. It didn't take long for him to warm up to the three of them, and soon he was providing a source of never-ending entertainment. We met up around 10:30 am and had brunch at Epic on the Embarcadero. Rory, I think, had the winner pick: blue corn waffles with bacon and strawberry butter. He ate the entire adult-size portion. More walking after lunch, along the waterfront path to the Ferry Building Market. Us ladies browsed and made stinky cheese purchases at the Cowgirl Creamery (Red Hawk is my artery-clogging vice) while the three boys ventured off to find some gelatto.
Fun in the city came to an end all too abruptly - one day was simply too brief. We are definitely missing all of you on the East Coast!
No comments:
Post a Comment