First day of school (Sept. 2013)

First day of school (Sept. 2013)

Thursday, June 19, 2008

Another one MIA

This time it's the binky, or pacifier.

I happen to think we've let Rory have this particular crutch much longer than we should have, his two front teeth are beginning to protrude ever so slightly. But it helps him get to sleep at night (it's like anesthesia, "1, 2, 3, zzzzzzzzzzzz"), and without it he puts up such a fight. It was a big deal to get him off it during daytime naps. That was when he was 2. We've been building up to the eventuality of quitting cold turkey, telling him that when he turns 4 in October, that's it. So far he's been pretty reasonable about that.

So, last night when the binky went missing (and it well and truly is missing, and not 'missing'), it was a drama. Matt was able to trick him with one of Myer's binkies. Tonight, however, he got a good look at it and noticed that it was not his. No fooling this kid. Uh oh, I feel a segue coming on...
In fact, a couple months ago, Rory requested salmon for dinner (wild of course, it's one of his favorite foods) which we did not have. As it wasn't yet in season, we had rainbow trout (farmed, from Sunburst Trout). Surely, we thought, we could pass it off as salmon. Now, I know what you're thinking, for those that know what I do for a living: blasphemy! But we did it anyway, and you know what? That kid took one bite and looked at me and said, "Mommy, that's not salmon!"
Bedtime is 8:30. It's now 9:45 and it's just gotten quiet. I was with him for a good long while, but he just couldn't be consoled for long before tearing and sobbing anew. I think he's finally cried himself to sleep, which is Myer's routine of late. So tonight from 7:00 until just a few minutes ago, someone has been crying in the Brookhart household.

My nerves are shot, pass the wine! Matt has fallen asleep with Myer - a very sweet picture but am afraid the flash would wake one or the other - and I'm not far behind.

No comments:

Post a Comment