When he was a boy, Matt had a brown blanket that he took everywhere, and which was mysteriously 'lost' around age five. I don't recall ever having a security-blanket attachment to anything. I did have a beloved teddy bear that I've kept all these years, but - cover your ears, teddy - his shape isn't really conducive to cuddling. Seriously, who has a brown blankey? No wonder it was 'lost'.
Gary and Oscar are to Rory what the blue blankey is to Linus. And now, Oscar is missing. Can't find that snuggle puppy anywhere. We have searched high and low.
Oscar is AWOL.
We threw the entire stuffed animal collection into bed tonight - Copper the big floppy-eared dog, brown and blonde Easter bunnies, my ragged old teddy bear, even Myer's soft pony - but they just can't fill the void, as anyone who's ever had a brown blankey can attest. Oscar, apparently, is one in a million. I'm not sure where this leaves Gary, his identical twin, who we ironically had to buy while visiting Grandma after discovering we had left Oscar back at home.
Tucking Rory in, I was surprised (and proud and grateful in a bittersweet kind of way) there were no tears. Ah, the boy is growing up so fast! No tears, just a fervent plea to find Oscar in between calls to keep looking for him tonight. I finally said with a half-smile and a wink, "Oscar is visiting Grammy and Grandpa, he'll be home tomorrow" which elicited a big grin and then another call to keep up the search mission.
Oscar, if you're out there, Rory misses you and wants you to come home. And if you happen to find a brown, thread-bare blankey...
No comments:
Post a Comment